Steph's Reviews > Tundra 37

Tundra 37 by Aubrie Dionne

Feb 27, 12

Read from February 16 to 18, 2012

4 1/2 stars

Judging by the cover and reviews, I thought I was in for a steamy Sci-fi Romance ride. Well, that's not exactly true. This book is more like a Sci-fi thriller/adventure with romantic elements. I was very surprised on how well constructed and interesting this story turned out to be. No truly steamy parts, but definitely a very good read nonetheless.

Earth is a distant generational memory for a group of colonists traveling to their new home, Paradise 18. That is until an incident causes them to crash land on the closest habitable planet of Tundra 37. The mystery of this strange frozen world and the half human pilots, known as the Seers, suddenly starts to unravel.

The book takes the precarious perspective of various people aboard the ship. One a disabled but very sharp girl, that doesn't really fit in the new world the colonists are working to build. Another is the perspective of one of the Seers, a once human girl who is now more machine and controls the ship, along side her twin sister. Through her flashbacks, we get a bit of a glimpse back to the Old Earth and the causation of the devastation that catapulted these survivors into space in the first place. We also get to see the story from Gemme and Miles perspective, which held the majority of the romance in this book.

I thought the romance was spot on, but a bit tame. More YAish than I first expected, but it was still good. The best part of the book was the main story. Well constructed and damn interesting, I thought every perspective and scene was well placed and edited. It all seemed to fit well together. However, I do have to comment that there seemed to be quite a few mistakes or typos throughout, but not enough to be truly distracting.
*******
Gemme is a hi-tech matchmaker who pairs the next generation of Lifers aboard the Expedition, a deep space transport vessel destined for Paradise 18. When the identity of her lifemate pops up on her screen, she's shocked that he's the achingly gorgeous and highly sought after Lieutenant Miles Brentwood, a man oblivious to her existence.

Believing everyone will think she contrived the match, she erases it from the computer's memory. Just as comets pummel the ship and destroy the pairing system forever. With the Expedition disabled, the colonists must crash land on the barren ice world of Tundra 37 where Gemme is reassigned to an exploratory mission, led by Lieutenant Brentwood. Only in the frozen tundra does she understand the shape of his heart and why the computer has entwined their destinies.

In summary, If you are looking for a good Sci-Fi story with a bit of romance, then this book might be for you. As a self-proclaimed UF lover, I really did enjoy this book. If you are looking for steamy romance, then I would suggest a book called Demon Possession. This book is labeled as book #2 in a series, but it reads like a standalone and I didn't miss anything from reading this book on its own.

Note: Safe for 15+
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tundra 37.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy Hmm. I'm going to have to try this one. I'm in the mood for some scifi.

message 2: by Steph (last edited Feb 20, 2012 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph You may like it, but if you are reading it for the romance, then I would say pass. It's a pretty good Sci-fi book, that doesn't have a truly satisfying romance sub-plot.

I don't read a lot of sci-fi, but I'm sure there is better out there. I read this b/c of the synopsis and romance, which was sort of deceptive.

Speaking of good reads, I better hurry up with my current one, so I can read Hollows and a ton others coming out tomorrow and the next week.