Holly's Reviews > Mob Daughter: The Mafia, Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, and Me!

Mob Daughter by Karen Gravano

Feb 18, 2012

did not like it
Read from February 16 to 18, 2012

I bought this book for two reasons. One being that I read her father's book Underboss. The second being that I watch Mob Wives every single Sunday.

I regret buying this book. Its horrible. Sentences are clipped. Thoughts are all over the place. At one point she goes from talking about her family being arrested to her nephew almost drowning. Like wait...what? The first, and really only time, she mentioned fellow cast mate Renee Graziano was when she said "She throws her fathers name around all the time, me and the girls (referring to Ramona and her sister Roxanne) don't do that." Umm HELLO!?? Are you serious right now?? YOU are always the one throwing around the "check my bloodline" "I'm Sammy the Bull's daughter" "Do you know who my father is?" I found her "story" to be extremely hypocritical. She also kept saying how this book wasn't about her father yet how the Mafia affected her life. I saw none of that really. What I saw was someone that was completely confused, reaping in the benefits of being "The Bull's daughter" and someone who enjoyed the lifestyle. Once she was shunned, then all of a sudden she hated it.

Waste of money, waste of my time. Frankly, this book just proved what a hypocrite she is (as if the show didn't make her look like one already). If you want a good Gravano read, read her father's book. At least then you say it's "captivating".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mob Daughter.

02/17/2012 page 51
17.0% "I will finish this book but so far, not really thrilled with it."
show 1 hidden update…

Deana You are right on the money. I THOUGHT I was going to buy thsi book because I am such a Mob Wives fan, but ended up getting it at the library. I was so glad! I thought the story was all over the place, too.

Lindsey Agreed!!! I didn't waste money since I checked it out from the library but I am having trouble finishing it.(which I hate, since I hate not finishing books). I feel like I am wasting my time reading it. It's almost as if she is bragging but looking for people to relate to "her pain" at the same time. It jumps around & is repetitive to a point that makes me dizzy.

message 3: by Maayra (new)

Maayra Leon I'm a HUGE fan of the show yet the Italian mafia and i'm currently reading UNDERBOSS and when im reading that book its like a movie playing in my head. Its AMAZING!! I've been wanting to read MOBDAUGHTER but i don't know if i should "waste" money on it.. still debating.

Helen-a I came to write a review on this book but you already said everything I would say :) I will say something that drives me nuts about Karen: not only is the book written in her snotty tone but keep going back to "loyalty", all these girls throw that word around in the midst of trash talking their friends.

Deana Helen, you are right on...I didn't think about that, but you're right...it is a "snotty" tone.

Brenda If you thought reading it was bad, you should hear the audio version. Karen reads it herself and she lacks in reading skills. From not pausing at the end of sentences to mispronouncing her own words that she wrote. I would have preferred sharpened pencils shoved into my ears than listen to her book in her voice ever again.

Michael I only bought it when it was on clearance at a book store. The story itself is interesting enough but the writing is TERRIBLE even with a co-writer. I've never liked Karen, I read this strictly out of curiosity. I wish Drita or Carla would write a book. Basically anyone but Karen.