Jennifer Hendzlik's Reviews > Are You Smart Enough to Work at Google?: Trick Questions, Zen-like Riddles, Insanely Difficult Puzzles, and Other Devious Interviewing Techniques You Need to Know to Get a Job Anywhere in the New Economy

Are You Smart Enough to Work at Google? by William Poundstone

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in February, 2012

I’m not sure if I’m more excited about the challenging questions or depressed at how many make me scratch my head in confusion. My favorite one so far: “You are shrunk to the height of a nickel and thrown into a blender. Your mass is reduced so that your density is the same as usual. The blades start moving in sixty seconds. What do you do?”

My second favorite, which hits home for many librarians: “Explain what a database is to your eight-year-old nephew, using three sentences.” HA!

Their answer is brilliant: A database is an iPod for information. With an iPod, you can store thousands of songs and still find any track you want quickly. A database does the same thing with information that people have stored on a computer or the Internet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are You Smart Enough to Work at Google?.