Zlodmell's Reviews > Homeland

Homeland by R.A. Salvatore

U_50x66
Feb 16, 12

R. A. Salvatore really shows his love for fantasy and his beliefs against racism in Homeland, the first book in a thirteen count series entitled The Legend of Drizzt. Homeland is filled with action, drama, interesting philosophical ideas, and a strong underlying message.
Salvatore uses his love for fantasy to create a whole new dynamic in a world known as The Forgotten Realms. This new dynamic is a race called the Drow. A long-lost race of elves that retreated underneath the surface of the known world into a land called the Underdark. This new civilization brings the reader into the book and leaves them thirsty for more knowledge of who these creatures are. As the story begins the reader finds themselves in the middle of a never-ending battle between the houses of Menzoberranzan. As this battle comes to an end a new child is born in the house of Do’Urden. This boy was to be sacrificed the Spider Queen, Lolth, but his brother died in the battle giving him right to live. He is named Drizzt Do’Urden. Drizzt soon finds himself in a world filled with hatred for one another and backstabbing. As he grows and gains his own morals, he begins to question the ways of his people.
When I picked up this novel I had no clue who Salvatore was and I did not know what to expect from him. The story was a little dry towards the beginning and I did find myself getting bored with the novel. I ended up forcing myself to continue and I am glad that I did. As the story progresses so does the main character Drizzt. Writing the novel in third-person omniscient view was a good choice on Salvatore’s part. The reader is along for the ride as Drizzt goes through so many changes within himself. He begins to question his people and their beliefs and throughout the story changes into the character seen throughout the rest of the thirteen part series.
After finishing the novel I went straight to the store to buy the second installment. The ending of Homeland keeps the reader in the dark as far as what could possibly happen next and Salvatore does not disappoint. I highly recommend not only this book but the rest of the Legend of Drizzt.
Overall Homeland was a very enjoyable book however it is slow in the beginning. If the reader can get themselves to trudge through the deeply and aggravatingly slow start, then they will find out that they will never be the same after reading this fantasy novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homeland.