Carol's Reviews > Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

Nov 03, 14

bookshelves: 2012
Read from February 22 to 26, 2012

In “Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, Anna Quinlen gives her thoughts on a variety of subject connected to being a Baby Boomer, the sandwich generation, retirement, ageing and dying. I must stay that I haven’t read any of her books yet but I do love memoirs. She mixes her life experiences with her insights and comments. I really think this book is only for Baby Boomers. If you are younger or older, I don’t think you will “get it”.

The book is easy to read but did not go fast for me. I kept laying the book down in order to think what she said. She talks about how the Baby Boomer generation is so different from the preceding and the following generation. This is the generation that grew up with working mothers being the exception. We had mothers who stayed at home and took care of the children, did the cooking and cleaning and some played bridge with their friends. But then the “Feminine Mystique” was published and we thought about we should be denied a career. I can remember staying up all night with that book and crying and getting mad at the same time. Other women learned about the expectations in different ways but we all thought that we could do it all. But as Anna Quinlen says, we didn’t think how we were going to do it. We didn’t realize that we would be overcome with physical and emotional demands from work and family. Then without our noticing until it happened, time sped so fast and we were older!

I did feel like Anna Quinlen was sitting on my couch discussing this, the writing is so conversational. What surprised me is that we had many common experiences even though we come from very different backgrounds. When she said something that I didn’t quite agree, I was angry that she was not there in person so I could join the discussion. The above is only a small part that she covers in her well written book. It is amazing what she could pack in only 182 pages.

I recommend this book for all baby boomer women.

I received this book from the Amazon Vine program and that in no way influenced my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake.

02/24/2012 page 56