Micheline's Reviews > The Silver Chair

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

Sep 19, 14

bookshelves: classics, magic-witches-wizards, creature-characters, fantasy, high-fantasy
Read from February 16 to 18, 2012

2.75 stars ...close to 3, but not quite.

To be perfectly honest, I think I've debated between 3 stars & 4 stars for most of the stories within the Chronicles of Narnia...except perhaps The Magician's Nephew. The Silver Chair is certainly not as good as it's predecessors (chronologically speaking, since I read the series in chronological order and not in publication order). I didn't hate it...but it pretty much had no lasting impact for me. One the one hand there's the inherent magic and innocence that warrants a higher rating. But on the other hand there's the frustrating and dated subtexts. The Silver Chair almost comes off a bit sad, when compared to the other stories of the Chronicles...maybe sad isn't the right word but the tone just doesn't seem as optimistic as it used to be. And while that in and of itself isn't enough to warrant the slightly lower rating, it simply felt off. The other, more prevalent reason for my lower rating lies with my issues regarding the main villain in The Silver Chair and Capsian's faith I guess, which I'll get to in a bit.

Essentially, The Silver Chair features Eustace Scrubb from TVOTDT along with one of his school friends Jill Pole. I was surprised (and a bit let down) that the story is told mainly from Jill's POV. Having seen the amazing transformation that Eustace went through during Dawn Treader, I was anxious to get to know his character better. The story takes place approximately 1 year after the events of TVOTDT (but 70 years have passed in Narnia...gah!) I really enjoyed all of the new characters, even if I struggled a bit with Puddleglum the Marsh-wiggle at first. Being called to Narnia, as usual offers a much welcomed escape for our heroes and a chance to make a huge difference in that world. Aslan's presence is more subtle than it was in Dawn Treader (where he seemed to appear randomly the second someone needed a hand). Here our heroes have to work hard to overcome all obstacles and evil.

My main issues with The Silver Chair were really only two things. Firstly, I was saddened by the unfairness that seemingly follows (view spoiler) End rant.

I still enjoyed reading The Silver Chair despite certain aspects or context I just couldn't wrap my head around...or even try to ignore this time around. These stories are without a doubt classics that should be read a least once in a lifetime, but the tone in this one drops considerably. It made me a bit sad to see what seems to be becoming of Narnia by this point in the series
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Chair.

02/17/2012 page 60
50.0% "Not too sure how I feel about 'Puddleglum' the Marsh-wiggle (wtf is a Marsh-wiggle anyways o_O) but at least he's not as annoying as I first thought..."