Tiffany's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

2741932
Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites, historical-fiction, made-me-cry
Read from February 15 to 18, 2012

It is 1941. Lina is a well-to-do Lithuanian girl. One night, the NKVD (later known as the KGB) storm into Lina's home. Lina, her mother, and her eleven-year-old brother are then stripped of their dignity, piled into a filthy train car, and then deported north - to Siberia. She is starved, she is ridiculed, and she is treated as a criminal. She's only fifteen. Between Shades of Gray is a poignant novel of the hidden voices of the Baltic States during Stalin's regime. But more importantly, it is proof of the strength of the human spirit.

Between Shades of Gray is surrounded by a beautifully simple air. The style is stark. The emotion is palpable. But at times there seemed to be little holes in the book where I felt like I had accidentally missed a few pages or something. It's not really bothersome, but it did leave me a tad perplexed.

I admire Ruta Sepetys because she cared enough to go to Lithuania not just once, but twice, to hear the harrowing stories of the people who shape her book. She cared enough to listen to them. She cared enough to tell their story. And she cared enough to share it with us. The voices of Between Shades of Gray sing of sorrow, loss, death, history, and love. But most importantly, they sing in harmony.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.