Eddie Watkins's Reviews > A Scanner Darkly

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick

Jul 21, 08

I watched the Richard Linklater film version of this again over the weekend, and besides confirming that it's my favorite Dick adaptation it also reminded me how much I love the book. Besides being a perfect exemplification of out-there paranoia (the circular structure really turns the screw on this), like almost every book of his it's also firmly and tangibly rooted in the things and relationships of mundane daily life. This book gives me a paranoia contact high.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scanner Darkly.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

S Suzanne I also love the film adaptation of this. Love the shaky animation like a bad acid trip.

Eddie Watkins Yes, it does represent, and even induce to a degree, an altered state of consciousness pretty well. I also think Keanu is perfect, especially his kind of dopey lost voice.

S Suzanne The animation itself does get you into a state! And I do think this one of Keanu's best for sure. Also enjoy the rest of the cast.

message 4: by lisa_emily (new)

lisa_emily Never saw the movie, but maybe I will soon. I liked this PKD book quite well. My favourite line was about the cat- the cat that steals things and climbs the ceiling and is some other cat when the character is not there. I don't remember the line exactly, but I have it written somewhere. It's been awhile since I read this.

Eddie Watkins I like nearly all Linklater's films, some very much so. I vaguely remember the cat line. PKD loved cats.

S Suzanne Too bad y'all are not closer - I have a copy of that movie.

Eddie Watkins Well, Lisa and I have shared things via mail (with L being way more generous than me...); but my dad has an enormous movie collection, so I can borrow his any time. But thanks, S!

message 8: by lisa_emily (new)

lisa_emily S wrote: "Too bad y'all are not closer - I have a copy of that movie."

Yes, tant pis- but I think one of my friends must have a copy.

I am ashamed to now realize and admit that the only Linklater movie I have seen is Slackers, from the '90s, which was a sort of anthem of our generation, I guess. A funny story though, I had a roommate move in while I was living in a flat in SF in '93, the guy told me he has in the Slackers movie, so I went to see it again and low & behold, there he was- the tv guy. I surprised though I have not seen ASD since I liked the book and despite most people's reservations, I am a fan of Keanu.

Eddie Watkins That's funny about the TV guy. The way Linklater handled School of Rock bummed me out a bit, as he ripped the idea off from an actual school of rock here in Philly, and as far as I know he never gave the dude who started it any credit, but I think he makes very engaging films in an easygoing way. I even like the ones that feel kind of generic, like Bernie and The Newton Boys. My favorite is probably Dazed & Confused, though A Scanner Darkly is up there too.

S Suzanne When we first screened Slacker at my college, a girl stood up and pointed out who she had known. I think it's such a Gen X film that everyone in the gen. knows someone 2 removed from it!

Scanner Darkly is one of my faves - also love Before Sundown/Sunset, etc. Those a beautiful. A new one is coming out - Before Midnight.