Tracy's Reviews > The Secret Scripture

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

Jul 25, 08

bookshelves: fiction, kindle, ebook
Read in July, 2008

I loved this book. The imagery was beautiful, the narrator voices were strong and heart-felt and I just - I connected. I loved the story being told, the story that lay underneath, the mysteries that were never quite solved and even more the ones that were.

This ranks up there as one of the best books I've read in a long time - and I've read some pretty strong contenders lately!

The story is told by alternating narrators - the secret scribblings of a woman nearing her 100th birthday in a mental hospital and the semi-official record of her psychiatrist, someone who took her existence in stride until he realized he needed to find out where she should go and if she's capable of being on her own now that the hospital is about to close. So he tries to learn her story and in the process learns his own.

But it's her story - the version she tells in secret and the version the doctor discovers through 'official records' - that drives the momentum of the narration. Her story, her imagery and her power. It's beautiful.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Scripture.