♡Karlyn P♡'s Reviews > About Last Night

Mar 05, 14

bookshelves: arc-copy, genre-contemporary, published-2012
Read from May 11 to 19, 2012

3.5 - 4 stars.
Talk about opposites!  Wealthy British banker Neville Chamberlain (named after a past Prime Minister), comes from a family steeped in money and is related to royalty.  He has a solid career working in the family’s bank, which is currently ran by his dear old mum and his oldest brother, and now he has a chance for a huge promotion – if only he would marry and take the role of ‘family man’ more seriously.

In contrast, there is Mary Catherine, aka Cath. She is an American working odd jobs at a museum, broke, no family, and completely unsure of her life’s plan. She created a lot of trouble for herself as a youth during a long rebellious phase, and suffered some hard tragedies as well.  She now sports six very unique tattoos to remind her of her past follies, and is determined not to make emotional and rash decisions again which would certainly lead to more awful and irrefutable mistakes.

After two years of no mistakes, Cath’s life has taken on a new level of mundaneness and boredom.  If not for her job at the museum and her passion for knitting, she would have no life at all.  When Cath’s boss manipulates her into a blind date situation, she warily agrees. What follows is a disastrous evening out – and thus makes up the title to the book “About Last Night”.

When Cath wakes up the next morning in a strange room – and a strange bed! – she finds herself in the home of the hot guy she sees regularly at the train station.   But how did she get there?  As the night before finally starts to come into focus, Neville lays down the charm. Since she has already broken her two year streak, what would one more day hurt?

Their romance begins as a short fling, but there is a strong connection between them.  Neville desperately wants to see more of her, but there is the nagging situation where his mother and brother are pushing him to get married.  Simply put, Cath would never fit in.   What unfolds is a cat-and-mouse chase kind of romance, with Cath agreeing to a physical relationship on her terms only, and Neville doing whatever he can to convince her that they are more than just hot sex.

my thoughts:
This was a frothy and sexy romance, perfect for a light and naughty beach read. I especially loved the England setting and a British banker as a hero. Great chemistry between them. I'm not the biggest fan of beta-heroes and heroines who seem to create problems that might not really be there, but I can go with it when its written as well as this one.

Overall, I really enjoyed the romance and had fun reading about these two, including the fairly hot sex scenes. (Side note: OH BOY did she turn up the heat in this book! Her debut Ride With Me was a steamy read, but this had a lot more sizzle!)

The emotional aspect of this book never gets too deep, which works well. As I said, it is a frothy romance. It is based around some fun moments but also some obviously contrived moments as well.

The ending will require a fairly BIG stretch of your beliefs, but I find that to be true in most contemporary romances and I still enjoy them anyway. There were a few parts of the ending that I did struggle with, and therefore I could only give this gem of a book 4-stars.  WARNING - MAJOR SPOILER ABOUT THE ENDING!! (view spoiler)

This was a fun read, and I love Ruthie Knox's writing voice quite a bit. If your in the mood for a light humorous romance and can suspend some disbelief, this is a great book to try.

Note: I won this arc in a contest, so thank you very much Ruthie for making it available early to some of your many fans!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About Last Night.

05/11/2012
15.0% "Oh this is such a fun way to start a romance. (Be bad, please!)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Everyone seems to love this book and author. Great review, KarLyn!

♡Karlyn P♡ Kristen wrote: "Everyone seems to love this book and author. Great review, KarLyn!"

It was a fun read, I finally got my review posted:-)

Anne OK Very nice review, KarLyn! I am really enjoying this one as well, but agree on the stretch of imagination in certain areas. Ruthie Knox certainly is on my list of new-to-me-authors to follow. I loved "Ride With Me."

♡Karlyn P♡ AnneOK wrote: "Very nice review, KarLyn! I am really enjoying this one as well, but agree on the stretch of imagination in certain areas. Ruthie Knox certainly is on my list of new-to-me-authors to follow. I l..."

Thanks Anne, if anyone goes into a book like this expecting depth and realism, readers might be disappointed. the 'stretch' parts do get way over the top, but it mostly worked in this case. Not all books can pull that off.

~V~ Great review KarLyn! I've def. added this to my list of books!! :)

Carrie Funny, I didn't have any problems with the "stretches" at the end. ;-) They all worked so well with the story I was willing to swallow them whole, without even realizing I had.

♡Karlyn P♡ ~V~ wrote: "Great review KarLyn! I've def. added this to my list of books!! :)"

Hope you like it V!

message 8: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Great review KarLyn!

edzkie♥§*.*§♥ you review good books that i cant find in ebook...duh!!!! but i will not give up! two thumbs up for a good review!♥

Carrie babyedzkie♥bookaholic§*.*§ wrote: "you review good books that i cant find in ebook...duh!!!! but i will not give up! two thumbs up for a good review!♥"

It's not out yet. It comes out on June 11th I think. (Maybe the 6th??) Anyway, it'll be available soon.

♡Karlyn P♡ KatLynne wrote: "Great review KarLyn!

I like sexy and frothy so this sounds good:) I also would like to read Ride With Me. Have heard good things about this author."

Thanks :-)

♡Karlyn P♡ babyedzkie♥bookaholic§*.*§ wrote: "you review good books that i cant find in ebook...duh!!!! but i will not give up! two thumbs up for a good review!♥"

Carrie wrote: ""It's not out yet. It comes out on June 11th ..."

Carrie is right, but it will be out soon!

edzkie♥§*.*§♥ ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "babyedzkie♥bookaholic§*.*§ wrote: "you review good books that i cant find in ebook...duh!!!! but i will not give up! two thumbs up for a good review!♥"

Carrie wrote: ""It's not out yet. It comes o..."

ok tnx.. ill just wait♥♥♥

♡Karlyn P♡ babyedzkie♥bookaholic§*.*§ wrote: "♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "babyedzkie♥bookaholic§*.*§ wrote: "you review good books that i cant find in ebook...duh!!!! but i will not give up! two thumbs up for a good review!♥"

Carrie wrote: ""It's not o..."

babyedzkie - looks like it out now! Hope you enjoy it!

message 15: by K (new) - added it

K A heroine who knits? I'm SO reading this one. Great review!

Karla Amazing review KarLyn and spot on in the spoiler!

♡Karlyn P♡ Karla wrote: "Amazing review KarLyn and spot on in the spoiler!"

thanks Karla! I see you just read this one too.

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam Great review, ♡KarLynP♡ :)