Jenn's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

May 04, 13

bookshelves: cover-love, fairytales-retold, reading-challenge-12, so-effing-excited, signed-copies, swoonworthy-boys, young-adult, all-time-faves, dystopian, series, arc, macmillan
Recommended for: EVERYONE!
Read from July 16 to 23, 2012

description

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. This review probably won't make sense, and I'm probably leaving a shit ton out, but here goes.

I was lucky to score an advanced copy of Scarlet from Marissa Meyer while at Comic Con.

Totally me.

I was in the middle of another book which I quickly finished in order to start this. So, Cinder left us with our heroine basically on the run after finding out that she was Princess Selene. Scarlet opens by introducing us to the new character in this universe, aptly named Scarlet who is looking for her missing Grandmother and along the way meets a mysterious guy who goes by Wolf.

The book started off a little slow for me. I, like I'm sure most will be, was more concerned with what was happening with Cinder and Prince Kai than I was with Scarlet and her journey. But Meyer's storytelling would not let that be, and I found myself eagerly enjoying Scarlet's feisty personality while also searching for how Scarlet would come to meet Cinder. How could these two completely different characters come together? How are their pasts joined?

Well, let me tell you, the answer is pure genius. Meyer has created such a deep, complex story that when you find out how Scarlet and Cinder are connected, you're just like, whoa. Along with the flawless backstory, Scarlet introduces us to two more characters besides Scarlet herself: Wolf and Thorne. I really hope we see more of them in the final 2 books.

And just as in Cinder with the classic Cinderella losing the glass slipper, Meyer's use of the the famed Red Riding Hood scene is flawless. I love the way she just weaves in the fairy tales but makes it work for the plot.

Another thing I love about about Meyer's writing, is there's a point in her books that you hit where you suddenly can't put it down. You have to finish it! My point was when Scarlet and Wolf arrive in Paris and I sat on my couch reading like a madwoman until I finished.

description

Now...WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW MARISSA???? THAT WAS NOT AN ENDING??? WHAT WILL CINDER DO NOW? WHAT ABOUT KAI AND HIS ANNOUNCEMENT AT THE END?

I wanted this book so bad...so bad!! But now that I have it, I have to wait that much longer for the third one. WHY???????

Sigh...I will wait...rather impatiently for 2014 to get here.

Just one final note: Prince Kai, no matter what happens:

Truth

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

07/16/2012 page 52
11.0% "Advanced copy signed by the lovely Marissa Meyer from Comic Con! So effing excited to start this one!"
07/17/2012 page 74
16.0% "Prince Kai...

description"
07/18/2012 page 159
34.0% "Cinder had to be found, Levana had to be appeased, Kai had to stop acting cheated and indignant and start acting like an emperor.

Whatever he'd felt for Cinder - or thought he'd felt for her - was over.

NOOOOOOOOOOO *flails*"
07/19/2012 page 170
37.0% "I love how Scarlet keeps defending Cinder. And Wolf...very interesting character. I want to know more about him!"
07/19/2012 page 198
43.0% "Very interesting..."
07/23/2012 page 303
65.0% "Ooh excellent use of the classic wolf/grandma scene of Little Red Riding Hood."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa (Fic Talk) SO. JEALOUS.

Rashika (is tired) You made me hyper for the third book in the series and i havent even read the second one yet!!!!!

Jenn Rashika wrote: "You made me hyper for the third book in the series and i havent even read the second one yet!!!!!"

It's soooo good. I am in LOVE with this series

Emily (Book Jems) Get. Out. Jenn.

Emily (Book Jems) Also - (view spoiler)
I don't like not knowing things. I'm very impatient. ;)

Jenn Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "Also - [spoilers removed]
I don't like not knowing things. I'm very impatient. ;)"

Hahahaha... love it.

I will answer your question with a yes, he's just confused and completely torn. I felt so bad for him in this book.

Emily (Book Jems) Awesomesauce! I just love Cinder and Kai SO MUCH. I can't even...

I'm so scary.

Jenn Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "God, I need to start stalking Marissa Meyer so I can get a copy of Scarlet. I'd do it. I'd stalk the crap out of her for an ARC.

I'm so scary."

Ummm...what do you think I did at Comic Con? Haha. I totally stalked the booth she was at until they handed out the ARC's. I'm praying she'll be there next year so I don't have to wait for Cress.

Emily (Book Jems) I plan on going to Comic Con next year, mostly to stalk authors! I will hound her (nicely of course) for Cress as well. ;) I am glad I am not alone in this. Hahahaha!
Mostly, I want to go because of the new Sailor Moon release. I'M SO EXCITED. I NEED THE SAILOR MOON GOODIES. :o)

message 10: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn LOVE Sailor Moon!!! <3 <3

And yesss! You need to go to Comic Co, it's so amazing!

Emily (Book Jems) I've never been before, but I've heard it's amazing. I'm going to convince my blogging partner to go with me - I'll need someone to hold all the stuff I get. ;)

SAILOR MOON FOREVERRRRR. :D

message 12: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Sandra wrote: "You need to put this review in the spoiler alert section."

Skyla Jenn wrote: "Sandra wrote: "You need to put this review in the spoiler alert section."

What in it would be considered a spoiler? I made sure to keep out all major reveals and surprises."

Maybe she hasn't read Cinder yet and if not then why is she reading reviews for Scarlet?

I didn't see anything spoilery in it. Everything you said would be known from reading Cinder or reading the synopsis of this book.

message 14: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn That was kind of my thought process as well. I mentioned the end of Cinder because I was going by the assumption that you wouldn't read the review of a sequel unless you read the first. Idk...

Skyla Because it is a sequel and states it right in the title here on Goodreads (in brackets it says Lunar Chronicles #2) one assumes in writing a review that they can say stuff about the first book.

I re-read this review again and everything she mentions about Cinder is actually right in the synopsis for Scarlet so it isn't a spoiler for this book.

Technically the synopsis for Scarlet is a spoiler for Cinder, just saying.

And it is kind of hard to write a review for a sequel book without mentioning what happens at the end of the last one especially if they follow on immediately after it.

Rashika (is tired) Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "Also - [spoilers removed]
I don't like not knowing things. I'm very impatient. ;)"

YAY!! thanks for asking that question!! i need hope for the two. they are so cute!
and and and i know its likely that they wont end up together till the 4th book so ill have to wait for two more books!! TWO MORE!

Charlie Chouinard I'm taking a Poll on my blog for who would cast as the best Scarlet here: http://charliebooks.blogspot.ca Because Movie rights for the Lunar Chronicles are in discussion! eg Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Brittney Snow, or Amy Adams.

message 19: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I totally agree. No matter what happens I love Prince Kai too.

message 20: by Chriselle (new)

Chriselle I love your GIFs! How did you add them into your review?

message 21: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Chriselle wrote: "I love your GIFs! How did you add them into your review?"

Thank you. It's really easy:

This is the code:

img src="http://www.goodreads.com/image..." width="40" height="100" alt="description"/

You must add these brackets < > around the code, or it will not work.

http://www.goodreads.com/image... - replace with the URL from your image. Must be a URL.

width="40" height="100 - replace the numbers with the appropriate width and height. Max is 400 for both.

description - you can leave this as is, or add a description for your image.

message 22: by Chriselle (new)

Chriselle Thanks! :)

Kristalia Nice rev honey :D

message 24: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Kristalia wrote: "Nice rev honey :D"

Thanks! :)

message 25: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Basically my feelings exactly. I am sulking until Cress comes out. How am I supposed to wait that long???????

message 26: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Amy wrote: "Basically my feelings exactly. I am sulking until Cress comes out. How am I supposed to wait that long???????"

I know! It's torture

message 27: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Mojica I absolutely loved your review! I'm just about to start Cinder but I wanted to find a good review for Scarlet to see if it really was worth reading Cinder.
And your review made me start reading cinder so I can read Scarlet ASAP!!!!

message 28: by Jenn (last edited Aug 12, 2013 05:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Aww thank you! I definitely recommend the series. It's one of my favorites out there right now. I hope you enjoy it!

Linda you are so true about how concern about how most people were with linh 's situation

Linda SO F#### LUCKY THAT YOU GOT SCARLET WITH A SIGNED AUTOGRAPH!!!!!!! >.<