Kate Z's Reviews > What's Bred in the Bone

Feb 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: i-own-this-tbr
Read from February 16 to 27, 2012

Colleen gave me this book to try almost 2 years ago! I have wanted to read it but it's not the size I prefer and I'm always more tempted by the bigger hardbacks than this short, stubby little paperback. But 2012 is the year I clean up my "I Own This TBR" pile and clear books off of my (actual, not just virtual) bookshelves.

This book was fine but I just wasn't that into it. It took me 212 pages before I ever thought to myself, "Oh, this book might be okay after all." However, the writing is good and there are big issues (art, religion, the self) tackled in here. It's also a very Canadian book. In some ways it felt like if my friend Colleen was a novel, this would be it. The novel is basically the story of one Francis Cornish - an artist, art restorer and "snoop" from Canada. It's told by his "Daimon" and the daimon has little interjections throughout the novel. The book is (apparently) the first of a trilogy and it covers the first third of his life - his boyhood and early influences.

I always felt a little bit uneducated while reading this - which is often the case when I'm talking to Colleen. There was so much I didn't know about art history!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Bred in the Bone.

02/17/2012 page 77
02/20/2012 page 180
41.28% "finished part 2 today. Francis is only 9 or 10 by now."
02/22/2012 page 212
48.62% "p. 212 - now we MIGHT be getting somewhere."
02/22/2012 page 301
69.04% "p.301 - definitely has gotten easier to read but stll ....."
show 2 hidden updates…