Elaine's Reviews > Speechless

Speechless by Hannah Harrington

Feb 16, 2012

bookshelves: 2013-reads, contemporary, favourites, kindle, made-me-lol, romance, young-adult
Read from January 13 to 14, 2013

Also posted on rabbitsfortea

You can be surrounded by people and still be lonely. You can be the most popular person in the school, envied by every girl and wanted by every boy, and still feel completely worthless. The world can be laid at your feet and you can still not know what you want from it.

The thing that first drew me to this book was the wonderfully simple cover that from far looks just like a blank paper. Speechless. This book is very aptly named and beautifully written. I honestly don't quite know how to put my feelings about this book down in words as I always do the books I love.

I can cut myself some slack somes. Because I'm a work in progress. Because nobody is perfect. At least, I acknowledge the mistakes I've made, and am making. At least I'm trying. That means something, doesn't it?

I think this quote perfectly sums up why I liked Chelsea so much. She starts out as a very flawed character but at the end of the book, I don't find that she has become a saint either. Yes, I still think that she has flaws but at the very least, she did look at herself and try to change.I can definitely appreciate that.

I really loved her new group of friends as well. Asher and Andy are both pretty hilarious and Sam is just downright sweet. I also loved how the romance between Chelsea and Sam played out. The pacing for the story was pretty spot on.

How it seems so impossible that someone could look at them, see how plainly they care for each other, and find anything ugly or shameful or worthy of hatred in it, when all I see is something beautiful.

Speechless also touches on the issue of bullying and homophobia, but it was done in a way that doesn't feel like it's trying to shove what's morally right down your throat. Rather, it is done in a more pensive manner which I really liked. It makes you think love, hatred, friendship, forgiveness and so much more. This was one YA contemporary that thankfully lived up to it's hype and made me fall in love with Harrington's writing and characters.

This book deserves a very solid 4 stars but it was just lacking that little something that takes my breath away, for me to actually rate it as 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speechless.

Quotes Elaine Liked

Hannah Harrington
“Hate is... It's too easy. Love. Love takes courage.”

Hannah Harrington
“You can be surrounded by people and still be lonely. You can be the most popular person in school, envied by every girl and wanted by every boy, and still feel completely worthless. The world can be laid at your feet and you can still not know what you want from it.”

Hannah Harrington
“I love the way he says my name, like it’s something he wants to keep safe.”

Hannah Harrington
“It's like he knows everything. And I don't have to say a word.”

01/13/2013
38.0% ""Come on, no more time for swooning. Parabolas await!"

Spoken like a true Asian."

Basuhi Same here, I loved it but the special something of 5-Star Perfection was missing. I'm sad that I don't really remember a lot of it now.
But the protagonist, who started out as a vain high schooler evolved in so many ways, I reminisce back on my mistakes.

message 2: by Elaine (last edited Oct 16, 2013 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elaine Basuhi wrote: "Same here, I loved it but the special something of 5-Star Perfection was missing. I'm sad that I don't really remember a lot of it now.
But the protagonist, who started out as a vain high schooler..."

Me too, which is again proof of why this is only a four stars read and not a five. It was good but unfortunately just doesn't stick with you like how some books do.

I was far from being like her in my high school days but oh gosh, I am so thankful for maturing into the person I am now.

Oh, have you read Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
That one is similar in the whole bitchy girl turns good but in a whole new different way and it's really good.

Basuhi You're right, only "forever" books must get 5 stars. I've been bitchy, I mean doesn't it come with the territory of high-school, but mostly my attitude is turned towards unruly guys, and not my friends. But I'm nothing like this girl and her ex-friend ( I don't remember her name, sadly )
I haven't read this. The blurb looks cool enough. I'm adding it :)

Elaine Unless we're talking about DoSaB ofc. That's like 6 stars all on it's own, heh. Yeah, high school. That crazy period of time in our lives when we felt like we owned the world.

You should! I'm curious to see if you'll like it. The impact of this is definitely stronger than Speechless and I really did like it quite a bit.

Basuhi There is ofcourse, HP that deserves like, infinite stars but close behind that is a favorite book of mine, On the Jellicoe Road *desperately prays that you don't hate the book* by Melina Marchetta On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Crazy, I haven't added it when it seems pretty famous and I'm really into contemporaries and stuff. Maybe I was mistaken by the cover.

Elaine Basuhi wrote: "There is ofcourse, HP that deserves like, infinite stars but close behind that is a favorite book of mine, On the Jellicoe Road *desperately prays that you don't hate the book* by Melina Marchetta ..."

HP is in a whole different league on it's own. Oh, I've been hearing so much about Melina Marchetta's books! I really need to get to them soon! /praying that I love them too

Heh, yeah. The cover does NOT look like what's on the inside at all.

Basuhi I hope you love Marchetta whenever you get around to reading her books, I'm a forever fan of her : )

Elaine I really do hope so too because I've seen nothing but rave reviews!