Cheryl's Reviews > Isaac: A modern fable

Isaac by Ivan G. Goldman

Feb 26, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads
Read on February 25, 2012

A fable! Yes. Love fables. An immortal man born 4000 years ago, a super intelligent woman with a sharp tongue and an unknown enemy who will stop at nothing to get what he wants. Perfect. Sacrifices and fate? Bring it on.

WHAT just happened? My brain feels like it's about to explode from the intensity and wit in the 222 pages I just read. When I first saw the synopsis for this book, I thought it was going to be a more of a humorous, kind of a quirky adventure. I did not expect a thrilling, mysterious, and engaging crazy love story.

I had to break out a dictionary/wikipedia for this one! I was so embarrassed. Clearly, I need to read more. I am a huge fan of multiple first person narrators, so this was definitely a treat. Going back and forth between characters wasn't too difficult to follow. Goldman has a talent for putting loads of character and plot development in a couple of pages without rushing the reader. In his skilled hands, complex and believable characters are formed, and the plot brilliantly moved forward at just the right speed. Injected with romance and a war between good and evil, this book is a fast-paced, powerful read.

I'm not going to lie. There were parts when I had to go back and reread parts, because I got a little lost in the plot or forgot who a character was. Ehhhh. That's my fault though. My memory can be terrible.

The beginning was fun and witty. The middle was kind of all over the place and ridiculous. NOT a story for the kids at bedtime. The ending was great, kind of expected, but great. Mind BLOWN.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isaac.

message 1: by Ivan (new)

Ivan Goldman Cher--
Thanks pal. You're candid and cool. I invented the character Ruth and then she practically ran away with the book.

Best,