Matthew Perry's Reviews > I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing Up in the Holocaust

I Have Lived a Thousand Years by Livia Bitton-Jackson

M 50x66
Feb 25, 12

Read from February 16 to 23, 2012

I Have Lived A Thousand Years: Growing Up In The Holocaust
I Have Lived A Thousand Years by Livia-Bitton Jackson is a narrative nonfiction book about Elli Friedmann, who later changes her name to Livia-Bitton Jackson. She recalls her horrible struggles in the Holocaust as though she is there in the present time. Elli is a young Hungarian teenager who is forced to leave her house and possessions with her family to move to a ghetto across Hungary. Soon after, she finds herself eating worms in the deadliest concentration camp in the world: Auschwitz. The plot is intriguing yet lacks a definite climax. The characters in this chaotic setting let us better visualize the reality of famine and individual struggles of the numerous victims in this disaster. With a first-person perspective, we hear Elli's thoughts and words clearly through a writing style that yanks us into the book farther than we imagined possible. These building themes come naturally as this tale progresses. Readers of this tragic story will learn about not only the Holocaust, but why resilience is important in time of dire straits and circumstances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Have Lived a Thousand Years.