Langston Trapp's Reviews > Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member

Monster by Sanyika Shakur

U 50x66
Feb 16, 12

Monster is a autobiography about the life of an ex gang banger from South Central Los Angeles named Sanyika Shakur aka Kody Scott aka Monster. The book goes into detail about the heinous crimes he committed while on the streets, earning him the name Monster. He committed his first murder at the early age of 11, and progressively became more brutal as he raised through the ranks of the crips. He was attracted to the gang life by the certain level of respect gang members got in his neighborhood. Kody was by far the most committed gang member out of all his friends. He transformed his room into an arsenal full of weapons. After he inevitably landed in prison, he changed from his gang banging ways. He was tired of being in and out of jail. While in prison Kody embraced the Muslim religon and changed his name to Sanyika Shakur. He also became a black nationalist.

I like how this book was full of action. This helped me concentrate and get alot of reading done. Im used to getting books that im not very interested in, and having trouble finnishing them. I didnt have that problem with Monster because Sanyika Shakur does a very good job and showing what is happening instead of telling. There were many points where he would be describing drive by shooting, and it was like watching a movie. I could visualize what was happening as I read. I also like this book because the gang lifestyle was very interesting to me. At times I found it hard to believe that people would willingly risk their lives everyday for their neighborhood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster.