Shelly's Reviews > Heaven's Net is Wide

Heaven's Net is Wide by Lian Hearn

Feb 16, 2012

Read in February, 2012

I actually had to give myself some time to grieve when I was done with this series. Normally, I start a new book the same day I finish one, but occassionally I have to let myself say goodbye to characters. I had to do that after finishing this series. I had listened to all five books, and had fallen in love with the beautiful, strong, and humble characters. I fell in love with the land, the traditions, and the passionate patriotism the people held for their countries. It was hard to say goodbye, I didn't want it to end.

The story is written so incredibly well. It takes you back hundreds of years and makes you appreciate another time and the struggles they went through, the hardships they had to endure. As I read, I could imagine the country and the people, even though I don't know a lot about historical Asian culture; Hearn painted the picture in my mind.

Another part of this book that I loved was the faith that the characters held. They may have held different beliefs, but they held them very strongly. I am a Christian with much faith. And even though some of the people in this book believed differently than me (in The Enlightened One), it helped to increase my faith just by seeing the absolute, unmoving stand they took towards their belief. It was beautiful.

Then there was The Hidden. They touched my heart so much. What a struggle they endured! And all for God! It was incredible. God told us we would be persecuted for our faith in Him, and these people were a great example for me and how I would hope to stand firm in my faith during persecution.

All in all, one of the greatest series I've read. I could not have asked for more. I chose "Across the Nightingale Floor" on a whim, and I'm so glad I did! This series truly blessed me. I encourage anyone and everyone to read these books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven's Net is Wide.