Jim's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Feb 21, 12

Read in February, 2012

I gave this book four stars because I could not put it down. I was a big King fan through the 80's and 90's, but have not really read anything new of his in almost 12 years mainly because my tastes and interests have changed.
I read this based on the premise and the recommendation of a friend and I was totally hooked from the beginning. I actually read the 849 pages in about a week - averaging 100 pages a day once I got into it.
I'm almost 64 years old, so I remember the Kennedy assassination when I was fifteen in my sophomore year of high school. I think I'm familiar with most of the conspiracy theories and they've made for some entertaining movies and documentaries over the last 40+ years.
Stephen King can still tell a story with the best of them. The whole premise of the time portal at the back of the diner that takes you back to a specific date and returns you to the present two minutes after you leave is genius. How did he think that up? And say what you will about King, he does know how to end a story - at least to my satisfaction. It seems like he's painting himself into a corner but he gets out of it believably.
And here's where 11/22/63 loses that fifth star. [I hope this isn't a SPOILER.] I wish there had been a little more of the end. Maybe take 100 or so pages from the Texas part of the book and expand on the consequences that Jake's actions in the past have on the future [present?]. That part felt kind of hurried. I didn't notice it while I was reading, but when I got to the end it was kind of a big HUH???
All-in-all I recommend this book as a real page-turner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.