Neal's Reviews > The Spiritual Journey of Alejandro Jodorowsky: The Creator of El Topo

The Spiritual Journey of Alejandro Jodorowsky by Alejandro Jodorowsky

Mar 22, 12

Read in March, 2012

This was one of the more intense reading experiences I've had. I kept switching from feeling that what I was reading was total bullshit to find it it transcendent and illuminating. It ends up almost being like his movies somehow vulgar and disgusting then beautiful and transcendent, to all of them at the same time.

I'm kind of torn between not telling anyone about this and wanting to tell everyone. Why it ends up being meaningful is sort of hard to put into words because I feel like you end up losing it because a lot of his process is sort of moving passed intellect and applying rational analysis to the world around you, and I can't tell how much of it being impactful is just based on things that have to do with me personally. But yeah this isn't a description of a "clean" trajectory past the mundanenity and emptiness of the everyday toward some kind of other pristine plane of spirituality, some of the things that happen (or don't, a lot of its pretty unbelievable) to him and around him is pretty fundamentally disturbing. But impressively for someone who has this kind of metaphysical authority given to him based on his films, he kind of uses himself as the "bad" example. The George Costanza of the book. Constantly responding to questions and situations with an honest depiction of a sort of know it all arrogance, narcissm and egoism, he openly portrays himself as the goofus to the of the different spiritual figures he encounters. But yeah, I'd sort of recommend it, and not. I kind of don't know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spiritual Journey of Alejandro Jodorowsky.