Kyle's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

Feb 16, 2012

bookshelves: listened
Read from February 09 to 12, 2012 , read count: 1

Good solid mystery, well written, nice sense of place, suspenseful - I listened to this as an audiobook, and although I usually only listen to audiobooks on my commute I ended up sticking my earphones in and listening to this one all weekend (thereby getting a lot of chores done in a relatively painless fashion!).

I probably won't listen to audiobooks of the rest of the books in this series, though - I wasn't crazy about the audio production. For one thing, the plot is sufficiently complicated (though not ridiculously so) that it's a bit difficult to keep the timeline and the characters straight in your head (complicating things, the story jumps back and forth between 1975 and the present and there are two characters with very similar names).

Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the narrator. He wasn't terrible, but there was very little difference between characters' voices and he didn't do much with accents. Characters were described as being Canadian or Australian or New Zealanders or having "aspirational Yorkshire" accents, but other than a token North-American-ness for the Canadian, I couldn't hear any difference among the accents. I mean, that's how I sound when I read aloud - I can't do accents to save my life - but that's one of the many reasons I'm not a professional audiobook narrator.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.