Clare's Reviews > Pure

Pure by Andrew Miller

Feb 16, 12

Read in February, 2012

This is a story of grave-digging, cemetary clearance and the dust, grime and dirt of 18th Century Paris. My husband obviously knows what sort of girl I am because he bought me this for Valentines Day (in a handsome hardback signed edition no less!) It took me a little over a day to read - over dinner, in the bath, whilst I should have been watching a film, etc. As you may have guessed my husband is a very patient man.

Part of the drive was because it is obviously a beautifully planned narrative - the impetus is always onward and I couldn't find a single point where my interest waned. Each exposition of character or story-line came precisely where it should in order to fit the internal logic of the story. The characters and especially the interiors of boarding houses, greasy dining houses and the crumbling old church are all utterly believable. Overall, a very enjoyable read and one I was sorry to finish.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pure.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Peter My husband obviously knows what sort of girl I am because he bought me this for Valentines Day .... most excellent!!

Lesley After such a review, I couldn't walk past the copy outside Age Concern - the downmarket paperback version, of course.