♥Beleza★✰'s Reviews > Out of Oz

Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: library-book, fantasy, series, reviewed
Read from February 16 to 23, 2012

Now we come to the end of the series. I enjoyed every book in this series. What I most enjoyed is the growth shown. Some complained that Out of Oz didn't have the same 'magic' as the original book. I felt that the books showed the progression of the country as it worked it's way through different rulers and social unrest. Also the characters were different, they grew, their lives were affected in different ways.

In Out of Oz the story picks up about 8 years after the end of Son of a Witch, and a few months after A Lion Among Men. We are reunited with some characters we know well, such as Glinda and the Lion, Liir and Candle, some that you might consider 'bit players' that keep popping up. And some that made brief appearances or that we only heard about.

And we learn what happens to Liir's daughter, born at the end of Son of a Witch with green skin like her grandmother. There are other long hidden mysteries of Oz that come to light.

Although the books seemed to drag in places with discussion of troop maneuvers and military strategies. With the country at war and the characters major players in it, it was necessary. It helped to flesh out the characters, give a reason for their actions.

The ending was logical, perhaps not the 'happy ending' some might want, but satisfactory and I would recommend this book. I would also suggest that you read the books in order.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Oz.

02/17/2012 page 14