Dialectica's Reviews > Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection

Drop Dead Healthy by A.J. Jacobs

U_50x66
Apr 27, 12

Read from April 08 to 12, 2012

First off, I haven't read AJ Jacobs before. The first I heard of him was through a random title in the FirstReads program which I registered for on a whim. After winning the very next day, I decided that this book must be one of the best ever written because...I won it. So admittedly, I walked into its first few chapters feeling like I was holding gold and I would love it.

Not so fast. The book has it's flaws. Jacobs ambles when I want him to run, and speeds when I wish he would ruminate. I often felt like those topics that most interest me got short shrift while the less important took exhausting numbers of pages. I don't really care about Paleo-dieters, for instance. But I was dying to here more about hearing preservation and olfactory enhancement.

Minor quibbles aside, the book has definite charm. Jacobs approaches his topics with the innocence of the uninitiated and the commitment of Jim Carey in "Yes Man". I loved the the checkups during each chapter with the tallies of different zany statistics. And sometimes his attempts to combine various regiments (like the coffee, chocolate & booze diet) are side-splitting.

The most powerful parts of this book, however, are Jacobs visits with his grandfather. Every few chapters, the author talks about visits with his aging elder and the impact this man has had on his life over the years. Whenever the book hit a drier couple pages, I remembered that I was looking forward to Jacobs' next visit with is grandad, and I wasn't dissapointed.

The entire book feels very human, less academic. Which makes it a very easy read. And I'm not just saying that because I won it from GoodReads. Pick it up for yourself & you'll see what I mean.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drop Dead Healthy.

04/09/2012 page 16
04/09/2012 page 30
7.0% "Dear me, this book is hilarious :-D"
show 5 hidden updates…