May's Reviews > The Wishing Spell

The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer

Aug 02, 2012

bookshelves: favourites
Recommended for: anyone who is a fan of fairytales
Read on August 02, 2012 — I own a copy

Huge Chris Colfer fan. So, I was completely over the moon when I realised that 'The Land of Stories' had been released in Australian bookshops. When my mother presented it to me, I am not ashamed to say I immediately forgot my homework and took this to my room.

My first comment was 'Where's the map?' Apparently, the editions that the bookshop sold did not have a map of the Land of Stories attached. This did really disappoint me as I hoped I wouldn't have to rely on online pictures. Nevertheless, onto the actual prose I went.

After I read it, my first thought was 'Wow, he can write. Like, really write.' Sure, this book could have been improved by slowing down the pace a little near the end, fleshing out or maybe even toning down a few scenes but overall, it was pretty fantastic for a first novel. The descriptions were vivid and I could definitely picture this in my head. Heck, it might even make a good movie.

The main characters, Alex and Connor Bailey, are extremely likeable and endearing. They are complete opposites and their dialogue is snappy and hilarious. Alex is extremely enthusiastic about everything whereas Connor, as a contrast is more sarcastic. They make a good balance to each other and they don't ever seem to grate on nerves.

The originality of the plot is extremely entertaining and the twists that Colfer gives to the fairytales are interesting to say the least. When Goldilocks is a wanted fugitive and Red Riding Hood is an airhead, you know you're on to something. I loved to see how he kept the characters more in line from the Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen versions than Disney.

To conclude, great book for kids and young adults that want something fun. Warning for some light cussing in the book. Waiting eagerly for a sequel and a copy of the audiobook :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wishing Spell.

Quotes May Liked

Chris Colfer
“Once the world has made a decision, there is little anyone can do to change its mind.”

Chris Colfer
“I've learned that the more people embrace their disadvantages, the less disadvantaged they become!”

Chris Colfer
“No matter what you do, you can never please everyone. And that was the hardest lesson to learn. In fact, I'm still learning it.”

Chris Colfer
“The world will always choose convenience over reality. It's easier to hate, blame, and fear than it is to understand. No one wants the truth; they want entertainment.”

Chris Colfer
“Courage is one thing that no one can ever take away from you.”

Chris Colfer
“It doesn't matter how greatly you've been hurt or how much you're hurting, it's what you do with the pain that counts. You could cry for years or you could choose to learn and grow from it.”

Chris Colfer
“A villain is just a victim whose story hasn’t been told.”

Chris Colfer
“Once upon a time' These are the most magical words our world has ever known and the gateway to the greatest stories ever told. They're an immediate calling to anyone who hears them-a calling into a world where everyone is welcome and anything can happen. Mice can become men, maids can become princesses, and they can teach valuable lessons in the process.”

Chris Colfer
“Even in the worst of situations-even when it seems no one in the world appreciates you-as long as you have hope, everthing can get better”