Emily Anne's Reviews > Once Burned

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Recommended for: Jeaniene Frost Devoted Fans
Read in June, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost is the first book in a new offshoot series. This series is about the character "Vlad". Vlad comes to us from Frost's original Night Huntress series.

The book starts off with the introduction of a new female lead character named Leila. Leila is part of an act in a traveling carnival. However, she has a few electric and psychic quirks. These quirks manifested themselves after an accident when she was a teen. It is these powers of hers that lead to her kidnapping and subsequent meeting of Vlad. After Vlad and Leila meet, the story evolves into a typical romantic novel.

I was not impressed with Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost. Not only was it the stereotypical romance novel, but it was predictable and severely lacking for a Jeaniene Frost novel. Despite the poor quality of the book, I was not surprised. Frost's Night Huntress series has been slipping in quality since the third book.

Now, I am a huge fan of Jeaniene Frost. She is one of my go-to authors when I am looking for a top quality read. However, as of lately, her writing quality has been slipping into late Sookie Stackhouse (Charlaine Harris) series quality. I was thoroughly disappointed with how she rendered the much anticipated Vlad offshoot series. It was not only the quality of the writing that was horrible, but the content of the novel itself that was disheartening.
One can only hope that Frost's books, as of late, have been of temporary quality on her part. I expected better.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.