Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥ 's Reviews > The Runaway Countess

The Runaway Countess by Leigh LaValle

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: historical, from-author
Read from February 16 to 20, 2012

You can see this entire review at Forever Book Lover. You will also find a guest post from Ms. LaValle, as she talks about the Legend of Robin Hood.

I have to confess, I love Robin Hood, so it was no big surprise that this book appealed to me so much. There was so many things I loved about this book, I especially loved that the hero and heroine spend most of the novel together, I didn’t have to go skimming around the book to find out when they would met again. The author kept the focus on these two characters and kept the reader enthralled in their romance.

The hero, Trent was having to deal with secrets, lies and deceit, and this was all within his own family! Nothing was, as it seems, no one was who they professed to be. He was struggling to make the right decision, either forsake his father and family name or stand up for what was the right thing for the villagers, his tenants. He could protect his family’s name and hide the corruption, but that would make him no better than his father. But Trent knew he couldn’t change the past, he could only shape the future.

And, as if that wasn't enough drama, seems our heroine, Mazie finds herself on the wrong end of the law. Thinking that she can give him the information he seeks to find the "Highwayman", Trent takes her into his own custody. The two takes two steps forward, three steps back, a typically cat and mouse game.

Trent and Mazie’s final confrontation was heartbreaking. She pored out her love for him and tried to reason with him that the beauty of the law is in its the spirit of the law not the words themselves.

"I love you, Trent, because your are kind and just. I trust your heart. Not the man you think you need to be, but the man you are."

Trent was a little hard headed and not open to hear her just yet, he needed time. Time to take it all in, time to come head to head with his father’s fallacy, stand up and be the man he knew he could be and not what was “expected of him. He finally realized that his beliefs were from what he wanted to see rather than the truth of what was real.

There's an untold story waiting to be told for Trent's sister, Cat. Ms. LaValle gave us just a glimpse into her life.

Great romance and suspense the entire book. I was totally drawn in from the beginning and couldn't put it down. Ms. LaValle did an excellent job building up the tension between Trent and Mazie and she didn’t let this reader down when they finally acted on their passion, seriously, if you want to read something totally hot and steamy, this is your book.

I received this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Runaway Countess.