Carlie Cullen's Reviews > The Devil's Kitchen

The Devil's Kitchen by Alison DeLuca

Mar 10, 12

Having devoured The Night Watchman Express, the first in the Crown Phoenix series, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Devil’s Kitchen (book 2). I purchased it the very day I finished the first book and can honestly say I’m glad I did!

Devil’s Kitchen is more involved than The Night Watchman Express yet the story flows from one book to the next seamlessly. There is more drama, greater subplots and increased intrigue in Devil’s Kitchen and is so well written, I found myself completely immersed in it.

This booker is a little darker than book 1; all the main characters experience trauma of varying degrees and I found myself sympathising with their predicaments and willing them on in their attempts to escape them. They each have great morals, genuinely care about others and still have the backbone to stand up for themselves.

The author demonstrates great skill crafting her characters; they have real depth. The antagonists are manipulative, cruel and remorseless and these traits jump off the page.

Devil’s Kitchen itself is depicted as a wicked place run by nasty people. Again Ms DeLuca’s superior world-building and descriptive flair creates believable settings that are tangible and interesting.

Again, this Steampunk adventure will appeal to young and older adults alike. The gripping story keeps you hooked to the very end and I, for one, eagerly await publication of the next book in the series, The Lamplighter’s Special.

I would strongly recommend this book and again, would give it more than 5 stars! Alison DeLuca is an incredibly talented author and I wish her every success.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Kitchen.