Matt's Reviews > The Gunslinger

Feb 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read on February 16, 2012

The old west, sci-fi, and a little modernism thrown in to spice things up -- what's not to love? Originally, I read an older version, before each book in the series was adapted to make it fit better as part of a cohesive whole; honestly, I noticed very little difference. The story felt somewhat less raw to me than I remember it, but it was still good and compelling. The Gunslinger stands on its own as a story, but it is also quite clearly the beginning to something much more expansive. You get an epic story with a great deal of ground covered that only unfolds unto an infinitely greater story yet to be experienced. The Gunslinger is easily one of my favorite King stories, utilizing both iconic imagery and some original storytelling while creating an ever-evolving world of possibilities that expands at the rate the tale progresses. It's an excellent read, but I'm not sure how much it does beyond provide simple entertainment. Surely there is the reinvention of some fantastic storytelling elements within The Gunslinger, but they seem to provide only temporary purchase on something more innovative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.