Shoshana's Reviews > Embrace

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, young-adult, uexpected-suck, merde
Read in February, 2012

Angels seem to be the new vampires, so here's another up-and-coming attempt to make angels sexy. Shirvington actually puts some new spins on the "working" mythology (that is to say, all the mythos and terms that are showing up in all the books of late). She's clearly trying to keep away from the black and white, good/evil dichotomy. Unfortunately, she never explains her world well, and through the book there are some inconsistencies. (We're told repeatedly that "light" and "dark" don't necessarily mean "good" or "evil," but if a character turns out to be of the dark, whoa is it a big deal.)

My other major problem with this book is that it's ALL setup. I understand she's shooting for a series, but there should still be some small plot arc going through the first book - instead it's entirely establishing Violet's cliched relationships with her cliched best friend and father, her discovery of her true nature, and then about two hundred pages of waffling. Which feels like a waste of time, while reading, since it's not like her decision is going to be a *surprise* (again, this is the first of a series). How she gets there, yes - but in this case, how she gets there involves a lot of time fretting in coffee shops.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embrace.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Reading Rhino Press I'm so happy you feel this way! This book is just getting so many good reviews, I thought I might be missing something, but clearly not! Oh, and I hated the Claudia setup in the beginning. Clearly, the author wanted to create a character to kill off and set her up not well enough for the reader to get attached to and sympathize with. nice honest review! :)

Shoshana Reema (Reading Rhino Press) wrote: "I'm so happy you feel this way! This book is just getting so many good reviews, I thought I might be missing something, but clearly not! Oh, and I hated the Claudia setup in the beginning. Clearly,..."

Agreed! There were a lot of little points like that - her dad, for instance, who was set up as so negligent, but acted super affectionate - that accumulated to make the character details feel not-well-thought-out.