Chibineko's Reviews > The Springsweet

The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell

Apr 01, 2012

liked it
Read from February 16 to April 02, 2012

After having read and liked the previous book in the series, The Vespertine, I was pretty happy to be able to get my hands on this book. Many of you coming into this book will be familiar with Mitchell's style, but for those of you who aren't I do have to warn you that the magic in this story will not be as heavily played up as it usually is in some of the other YA books out there. It's more of a secondary plot element than a major one, although it does feature heavily in the story.

First let me talk about what I liked about this book. I liked that Mitchell seems to have done her research about what life in the wilds of Oklahoma would be like during this time period, complete with sod houses and all. It's a touch of realism that serves the story well. I have to say that my favorite character in all of this had to have been Birdy. She's a tough, no-nonsense woman and at times I couldn't help but wish that the story had been centered around her more than Zora. Zora isn't an unlikable character, but she just seemed a little underdeveloped at times.

Now for what I felt was a bit lacking. I can't help but feel that the story and characters should have been a little more fleshed out. Everything happens so quickly that I didn't think that many of the romantic developments felt like they unfolded as naturally as they should have and I think that if there'd been more fleshing out of the characters, the story's fast pace wouldn't have been as bad otherwise. I liked Zora for the most part, but I just couldn't entirely buy her chemistry with a certain male character. There was definitely enough there to make it interesting, but not enough to give the whiz-bang feeling that I crave from romance in my stories. I would be more ambivalent about this, but since this is the second book in the series I couldn't help but want more from a second entry.

Overall though, this is still a nice book and fans of the first entry will be sure to enjoy it. If you haven't read the first book then you absolutely should, but it's not a necessity since most of Springsweet can be understood without it.

3.4 out of 5 stars

(ARC provided by Amazon Vine)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Springsweet.