Briony's Reviews > A Good American

A Good American by Alex George

Feb 15, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction, great-smelling-books, fiction
Read from February 15 to 16, 2012

Let me first say that I almost returned this book to the library. I currently have a large obligation (*cough*thesis*cough*) and books have been my temptation for this past semester. Needless to say I decided to read the first chapter to see if it was worth keeping. An hour later and several chapters later I was still reading the book. I eventually forced myself to put the book down to work on my paper. By 3 am I decided that I would read one more chapter and once again I failed at that goal. Crawling into bed at 6am, I decided I would finish the book when I woke up.

Now that I am finished the book, I am extremely happy that I did pick up this book. George has masterfully created a family’s history from the beginning of the 20th century to the present day. Interweaving history, life, romance, and heartbreak with a graceful touch, George allows the readers to grow up with the Meisenheimer family through several different generations. George also incorporates elements that you hoped he would explain in the next chapter only for them to make an appearance fifty pages later. Even now, I have am having an “aha” moment of little information he disclosed.

This book will make you laugh and then break your heart. It is must read for this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Good American.

02/15/2012 "I have already laughed out. "You do know where you are, I presume." "Of course. This is St. Louis, Missouri. The United States of America." "That's right. So why are you standing in the middle of the street shouting in Polish?""
02/16/2012
47.0% "I am in love with this book."

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Wilcox How's that thesis coming? :-)

Briony It is brutal.