Rachmi's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Feb 15, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal, suspense-thriller, utopian-dystopian-post-apocalyptic, ebook, favorite-series
Read from May 16 to 17, 2014

Although I really want to read this book, I didn't pick it up as soon as I can. I thought I'll read it when the series is completed but then I knew that it'll likely be one long series that will end in years. And I was kinda afraid that it will be like any other typical YA dystopian books I read. It seems I read many dystopian these days. But I didn't have enough patience to wait it for years to read it, so I read it now.

First thing I realized that it is more a post-apocalyptic than a dystopian story. Many lists on Goodread said that it's a dystopian book and the blurb implies it too. So I was kinda surprise when I read the setting and worldbuilding. But I was also happy it isn't really dystopian. I rarely read post-apocalyptic story and reading it was like a refreshing for me. I really like the way the author wrote it. It's so clear I never doubt it even one single moment. It's haunting and frightening me most of the time. It reminds me of another post-apocalyptic story that I love so much, The Road. I think there are similarities to both of them, despite the angel thing.

As for the story, it's unpredictable and engaging. It can glue me to keep reading it. Although at some point I want to stop reading it because it was just too terrible for me to read it, I couldn't help not to continue it since I couldn't wait to know what happen next. But since it's told from Penryn POV, I have to wait a little bit longer to know what really happens and the reason behind it. And when it finally gets the answers, it was just not much. It feels like her limited knowledge avoided me to know more. It didn't mean it's slow-paced, though. There are things that keep my heart beats fast with Penryn and Raffe along the story.

I've read many angel stories, but it isn't like any other I've read before. A story about angels isn't something new. A post-apocalyptic setting isn't unusual either. But somehow it has its own originality. And now I can’t wait to read its sequels.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

05/16/2014 marked as: currently-reading
05/16/2014
33.0% "And what’s your name?” “Penryn,” I say quickly before Raffe can open his mouth to say something sarcastic. “Penryn Young.” Why didn't you give him another name, Penryn? It wasn't wise giving your real name to stranger, unless it isn't your name either." 5 comments
05/17/2014
45.0% "And now I'm super curious of who did that terrible thing."
05/17/2014
48.0% "Could it be nephilim? children of angel and human?"
05/17/2014
83.0% "This is like comes from one of The X-Files episodes."
05/17/2014 marked as: read