Jen's Reviews > Ordinary Wolves

Ordinary Wolves by Seth Kantner

Oct 28, 12

bookshelves: fiction, book-group, environmental-writing
Read in February, 2012

OK, hang on... stop reading this review. Go to your "to read" shelf. Add this book. To the top of the list. Do it now. Got it on there? OK..... now I can tell you about it. This book is going to stay with me for a long time. This kind of writing is really like a gift. When you come across a book like this you just never want to be done reading it because it's just such a sheer pleasure to read such fine writing. Seth Katner creates dialogues and descriptions that instantly place you in the landscape. After having read a couple of books that made me wince at every other sentence as I noticed authors blatantly trying to trick me into sinking into their story, Ordinary Wolves was quite simply a relief and a delight to read because I sunk into the story as soon as I started reading, and I loved escaping completely into this world as I read along each night. This is a coming of age story that follows Cutuk, a white boy growing up with his sister and his single dad in an igloo on the Alaskan tundra. Not quite native, but not quite white, Cutuk struggles to fit in in various social settings while lingering on the sidelines, subconsciously trying to flatten his nose at every moment. In tandem with the human storylines, we also follow developments in the natural landscape throughout the narrative. You'll clearly picture the purple sky, the black icy water at spring breakup and the endless snow, and you'll wince as you hear the sound of "snowgos" (greatest nickname ever for a snowmobile) tearing across the landscape and leaving permanent marks of change. To me the mark of any great book is the feeling of wanting to turn back to page 1 and start all over again upon finishing. Ordinary Wolves is on my re-read list already. Read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary Wolves.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Book is added. Thanks for the great review!

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen You're welcome! You will love it. I actually was going to send a recommendation directly to you, but couldn't find that link. Glad you saw this.

message 2: by Carole (new) - added it

Carole Thank you for the comments! This book looks amazing! Getting ready to pop into the library to get it this week! Have you read the other one by this author too?

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Hope you love it as much as I do. Haven't read the other one, but probably will at some point. Happy reading!