Alyson's Reviews > The Eight

The Eight by Katherine Neville

Feb 15, 12

What do King Charlemagne, a gaggle of nuns, just about every historical celebrity from late 18th century Paris to Venice to St. Petersburg, more than a few chess prodigies, and the formation of OPEC have to do with each other? More than you could imagine. Katherine Neville out-Dan-Browns Dan Brown, skipping across continents and centuries, connecting far-fetched dots, and name dropping all along the way.[return][return]The book starts strong--the classic cryptic fortune telling of doom, a stubborn genius heroine who pisses off the wrong boss, a few mysterious deaths, and a sexy Russian spy. And I hung in there through the melodramatic characterizations of the ever unrolling parade of players, even when she mixed in the Freemasons. (Gotta have the Freemasons.) But Catherine the Great AND Rousseau AND Voltaire AND Robespierre AND the painter Jacques-Louis David AND Napoleon Bonaparte AND Wordsworth AND Cassanova? Puh-leeze. It tries even this willing suspender of incredulity. I made it to page 392 before I strained my eyes from rolling them--and we hadn't even got to Sir Isaac Newton yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eight.