Pamela's Reviews > Kaffir Boy: The True Story of a Black Youth's Coming of Age in Apartheid South Africa

Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane

Feb 15, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

I picked this book off of the free shelf at the library and got exactly what I expected: An introspective look into black life during apartheid. While interesting, if you know anything about apartheid, the information will not come as a surprise. It's uplifting to think that this man made it out so well, but I wish he would have added a postscript at the end, letting us know about what happened to the rest of his family. All I could think of at the end of the book was about how much I wondered how the others fared.

It's inspirational to think how he worked so hard to get out of his position. It's a strong message of hope to any one stuck in a bad situation, that education can lift you up. As far as his writing style though, it was hard to get into at times. Sometimes he gets personal and writes as if he were writing a story, other times he writes as if for a textbook. So at times it's dry, others, very emotionally involved. Maybe the textbook areas are the points he is uncomfortable sharing? Or maybe he just doesn't remember as well, but any point, it's hit or miss as to how much you want to keep reading.

Overall, I'm glad I picked it up. It was an interesting read, and I'll be putting it back up on that shelf for some one else to read.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kaffir Boy.

message 1: by Pavlína (new) - added it

Pavlína There is a book called Miriam's song, that says the story of Mark's family after he left.