Connie Strong's Reviews > Thunder Cake

F_50x66
Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: picture-story-books
Read in February, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I thought this was a very interesting take on how to help a child deal with a thunderstorm. As a child I was always afraid of thunder, myself, and so my parents would tell me that it was just God bowling with the angels. This was my parents way of helping me through a thunderstorm. It was a mystical way for my parents to get me to not be afraid anymore. In this book the child's grandmother does much the same thing. She teaches the child about the famous thunder cake, which can only be made during a storm. As the storm gets closer and closer, the countdown is on. The child is busy rushing around gathering all of the ingredients, and has no time to be afraid of the storm. By the end of the book she realizes that she was brave to do all of these things. This is a way of dealing with a thunderstorm, but unintentionally this creates a great tradition. Through reading this book, I could teach students to developing their own "thunder cake" when thunderstorms occur. The only thing I did not like about this is the illustrations. I think that the author could have been much more creative with the illustrations to draw readers in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunder Cake.