victoria.p's Reviews > Sam Noir Samurai Detective

Sam Noir Samurai Detective by Eric A. Anderson

Nov 12, 07

bookshelves: comics
Read in November, 2007

Possibly I am the wrong audience for this, though the fact that the very title made me excited when I first read about it (A SAMURAI DETECTIVE! HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME?) and yet I can't say I actually enjoyed it or was emotionally engaged by it.

I am not sure if it's the tongue-in-cheek-ness of it or the fact that it's a comic made the writer feel okay about going completely over the top, but I found it really hard to take seriously, even as comedy, and thus, really hard to invest in emotionally. The artwork is gorgeous, in a very shadowy black and white can't quite tell what's actually going on way, which, well, I am not one to read comics for the artwork, because I find it completely unintuitive - I am a big fan of text. Reading pictures isn't my strong suit.

I don't know if I'll pick up the next volume whenever it comes out, if it comes out. This ended on a cliffhanger, which I didn't expect - I thought it was a self-contained story - so I might just to find out what happens, and there is some amusement to be gleaned from such gems as, "He's fast as a barracuda riding a gazelle. And that's super fast. But the thing is, I don't mean to boast...but I'm fast like a cheetah riding a bolt of lightning. You don't even know I'm gonna strike until you've got four fangs in your neck and a million volts runnin' down your spine."

So we'll see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sam Noir Samurai Detective.