♥Belleza★✰'s Reviews > In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: history, ebook, memoir, non-fiction, war-crimes, my-ebooks
Read in April, 2012

"I walked across the snowy plain of the Tiergarten -- a smashed statue here, a newly planted sapling there; the Brandenburger Tor, with its red flag flapping against the blue winter sky; and on the horizon, the great ribs of a gutted railway station, like the skeleton of a whale. In the morning light it was all as raw and frank as the voice of history which tells you not to fool yourself; this can happen to any city, to anyone, to you." -- Christopher Isherwood, Down There on a Visit

This is the account of the American ambassador to Berlin in 1933, it contains excerpts from his letters and diaries. It also contains the writings of his daughter. It is full of some wonderful quotes, a couple I listed in my status updates. It is more than just their story though, Erik Larson has done extensive research in writing this book, when talking about the research he did, he said regarding one book he had about Hitler, that he had to keep it face down on his desk, he had come to loathe the picture of Hitler on the cover.

Because of his research this is a excellent account of Hitler's rise to power, how it happened, why the rest of the world didn't see it.

This is an excellent book and I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Garden of Beasts.

04/06/2012 page 22
04/10/2012 page 151
34.0% ""There has been nothing in social history more implacable, more heartless and more devastating than the present policy in Germany against the Jews." Consul General Messersmith, 9-29-1933"
04/12/2012 page 256
57.0% "The (mock) trial found Hitler guilty: "We declare that the Hitler government is compelling the German people to turn back from civilization to an antiquated and barbarous despotism which menaces the progress of mankind toward peace and freedom, and is a present threat against civilized life throughout the world." March 7, 1934 Mock trial of Hitler in Madison Square Garden, New York, NY"
show 5 hidden updates…