Mairead's Reviews > The Last Storyteller: A Novel of Ireland

The Last Storyteller by Frank Delaney

7771953
Feb 15, 12

Read in February, 2012

"The Last Storyteller - A Novel Of Ireland" is a book of enduring beauty, suspense and heartbreak.

Ben MacCarthy is a flawed, but idealistic hero, searching for his purpose as a father, and learning to overcome cowardice to reconnect with his long lost wife. The complex characters of this book, endure emotional and often brutal realities, which Delaney concisely depicts with carefully chosen words and phrases. He is a true word master, whose narrative skills create memorable and compelling scenes. MacCarthy's imperfections are mirrored in the flaws of a fledgling nation and her people, struggling to find their own identity. This book lyrically recounts MacCarthy's journey of self-discovery as he evolves into the next great storyteller or seanachie.

The book begins slowly. The mystical, mythical quality of stories within stories creates a meandering plot. My love of Ireland and her ancient tales, and especially Delaney's masterful story telling, helped me to overcome my usual desire for uninterrupted, plot-driven fiction, to truly enjoy this rambling, yet compelling tale.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Storyteller.