skein's Reviews > Love, Come to Me

Love, Come to Me by Lisa Kleypas

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: 1-star, 2012, rrrrromance-novels
Read in February, 2012

Terrible. TERRIBLE. Was this ghost-written? by a shitty ghostwriter?
because

1. It's a clear rip-off of Gone With The Wind. I'm surprised there are no characters who don't know nothing about birthing no babies.

2. There's a goddamn rape scene.

3. Not funny, not charming, not rollicking escapism. Not at all.

Did I mention there's a fucking rape scene?! And (oh god) it's one of those awful "She was saying no, but she really was totally turned on, and when he ignored her protests and raped her, she climaxed immediately and fell even more in love with him" because that is what happens! That is a very accurate representation of rape! All the times I've protested against sex, I was just desperate to be taken by force! THAT WAS A MISSED OPPORTUNITY FOR FALLING IN LOVE, is what I'm saying.

Wait. No. That's what the author is saying.

This is wrong. This is morally wrong and it's legally wrong and it's not fun to read, it is not. Kleypas is -- usually -- a charming writer of charming characters who spend hundreds of pages flirting and having consensual sex and absolutely, positively not raping anyone.

The title sucks, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Come to Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie Wow. Will you read anything else by Kleypas without thinking of this horrible book? I can't believe that someone would actually write about rape that way... so pathetic. :( She should be sued by one of the human rights organizations...

skein well! this was written back in '88 -- that makes me feel WAY better, cause the 1980's romance machine is subtitled "She Was Totally Asking For It" -- industry standard!
And she penned a sort of bashful apology for her mistakes of youth (included in the reprint)
And her recent books are all "you know what's totally sexy? CONSENT!"
So I'll forgive her.

But I'll never read another romance without checking the publication date, dammit!

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie oh good, I'm glad she apologized and has made strides, that it wasn't a recent thing! There are enough idiots who actually believe that, no need for an author that is so widely read (by you at least :) ) to encourage it!

skein It's heartening, really! Personal growth and responsibility!
She is a good author, nowadays -- charming. I read her books aloud to S. sometimes. And I do the voices.

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie oooooo wanna come read to me? :) I like voices!

skein I don't think I could read sex scenes to you! I'm barely able to accept that
1) you're a grown-up, plus
2) you're pregnant
equals
3) you have had sex.

*hides*

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie ahahahahaha wait and it's supposed to be easier for me to accept 2 of those 3 about you? I'll make sure I get a birth picture to help you accept it... :-p

skein OH DEAR JESUS NO BIRTH PICTURES I WILL DIE.

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie Like I would send a picture of my privates to you. Freak. :-p Maybe just a bloody, mucus-covered newborn... hahahaha

message 10: by skein (new) - rated it 1 star

skein pregnancy does weird things to people, man!

spooooky things.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie yeah, i look like i have massive intestinal gas bubbling around right now. spoooooky...

message 12: by Sita (last edited Mar 21, 2012 10:28PM) (new) - added it

Sita You obviously do not have much knowledge of the genre. MOST historical romances written pre 1990 had abusive alpha males. Rape was common to come across. During those years it is what SOLD. Women "then" wanted a more accurate portrayal of pre turn of the century relationships.

Today women want a more romanticized version of the same era. Today "that" is what sales. When a writer submits works, a publisher will tell them, "this is what sells, this is what we want". And then an author must go create it. And until they have "a name" that continues.

Suggesting she should be sued because her book has a rape scene is just silly. TONS of historical romances come with rape because pre turn of the century - MANY women WERE raped. By their husbands no less - heck, that even happened commonly 60 years ago. And back then if a woman was raped by a suitor, very likely her family WOULD make her marry him as it was the only way to save her "honor".

It is just another style (more realistic) of writing historical romance. One that does not suit you clearly. I would stay away from many very popular older books of the genre.

message 13: by skein (last edited Mar 21, 2012 03:32PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

skein Yes, rape is -- sadly -- a very realistic part of literature.
What isn't quite so realistic is the trope that says "force me and I'll love you." It's unrealistic and it's actually hurtful for the vast majority of people.

>You obviously do not have much knowledge of the genre. MOST historical romances written pre 1990 had abusive alpha males (...)
You obviously did not read the second comment here where I said that same thing!

message 14: by Sita (last edited Mar 21, 2012 10:26PM) (new) - added it

Sita I do realize they are offensive to many, and hurtful to others as well. Whether or not it is realistic is debatable but pointless in this setting. I certainly do not expect everyone will like that dynamic.

You are correct. I did not read more than your review. My apologies, the comment was not intended offensively though.

It merely took me by surprise that someone would review a book of that time period in this genre and seem so very shocked and appalled by rape scenes.

My intent was to give a bit of explanation as to why these books are reasonable for an author to write. I personally prefer older historical as I find them more realistic and believable. The fluffy works of today are loaded with feminist men and peace makers who realistically would never (or rarely) have existed. I don't see anything wrong with them being written, they simply are not my preference. There is a market for both types.

That being said, I acknowledge rape itself is not the required aspect of a realistic hero/heroine dynamic of the time.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Robinson Rape scenes were quite common in "romance" novels in the eighties.Don't be surprised when you find them but being appalled is appropriate. I read a lot of scenes like that back then one was included in my favorite romance novel and I didn't think a thing about it.

AlbertaJenn It's through the filter of our own society that we tend to view history. Back 20-30 years ago, the whole "she wanted to be raped because of what she wore" was a big defence of rape. Now, not so much. So it is reflected in the type of historical that is being written. I think books like these may have been a more accurate portrayal of how things actually were back then, but we do tend to prefer our escapes as viewed through our own lens.

message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary LOOK AT WHEN THE BOOK WAS WRITTEN Before comparing it today's historicals.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I'm so glad someone brought up the rape scene. I couldn't finish the book because of it. The writing and character development were turning me off from the beginning, but that scene ended my interest in the book.