Rebecca's Reviews > The Puppy That Came for Christmas: How a Dog Brought One Family the Gift of Joy

The Puppy That Came for Christmas by Megan Rix

Mar 20, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: chicklit, dog
Read in December, 2011

Seriously, how could I not pick up a book with this title?! And you should see the cover. So eff'ing adorable. Thankfully, the title doesn't fully describe the (true) story of this book, just more of the timeline. An older couple UK wants to have a baby but can't, so they decide to adopt and train "helper" dogs. Of course, since they have never had a dog before, they get super attached, which I have to say now is the most annoying thing about this story. It's like surrogacy, they really want women who have already "finished their family" before they go off and have a baby for someone else. I think you really should either currently or in the past have owned a dog before you can be a trainer, so you know what it's like to give it up. Of course, a dog isn't as much like a baby and since they are really desperate for helper trainers, beggars can't be choosers, but I wanted to strangle the couple every single time they thought they could keep their dog in the end, even offering a payoff. How lame! Thankfully in the end, they got their own forever dog, which is probably better for them anyway. I did like reading about the struggles they went through in training the dog as I was going through similar things at the time with my (new to me) dog. Cutesty and just so very British and just an okay read. Lamer then I had hoped, but a decent read for dog lovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Puppy That Came for Christmas.