Kristin's Reviews > Leone Leoni

Leone Leoni by George Sand

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: classics
Read from February 15 to March 19, 2012

The more things change, the more they stay the same. This is the story of the abusive relationship of Juliette, a woman who literally cannot live without Leoni, the man who has ruined the her life and that of her family, and Busstamente, the man who adores her. Juliette lives in torment, at first in supposed ignorance of the dastardly deeds of her lover Leoni, and then stays with him in spite of them. He doesn't physically abuse her, but he definitely mentally abuses her. Evey time she even thinks about leaving, he professes his undying love along with all of his newly illuminated crimes. His power over her is such that she follows him to another city and even moves into his new lover's home, acting in the role of his sister. In the book, she is telling Bustamente, her new protector, of their love and why she can never truly love him. The ending is a superb irony, but there is really nothing unexpected in the plot for the modern reader. I found the prose to be overblown and insipid, which is what I suspect that Sand wants us to feel. I think that she wanted Leoni and Juliette to be ridiculous and unlikable, however, I was not sympathetic to Bustamente and the futility of his love either. Upon reflection, I find that I liked the book as a whole better than I did when I was actually reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leone Leoni.