♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)'s Reviews > One Small Thing

One Small Thing by Piper Vaughn

May 10, 12

bookshelves: geek-hero, mm, mm-first-friends-then-lovers, mm-too-cute, mm-with-kiddies, too-cute, mm-author-hero
Recommended for: Anyone who likes a family story
Read from May 05 to 06, 2012

Sweet and Simple

I had to sleep on my rating for this one to really get a feel for what I thought of the story. One thing was for certain; this book is sweet, sweet and cute.

The recipe for cotton candy and fluffy clouds
One sarcastic, happy, flamboyant and toppy twink named Rue
One adorable geek with a stutter, some OCD and a problem with crowds named Erik
One sweet, charming best friend named Dusty aka Uncle Dustpan
One little newborn girl named Alice, unexpected but completely loved

Rue is a bartender who goes to cosmetology school during the day and has dreams of being a hairdresser in California. One night he gets a visit from the one woman he slept with and finds out that he's going to be a papa and he decides to keep the baby. With his best friend, Dusty, Rue decides to raise the little bundle of joy who'll be making her appearance in 6 months.

One problem...the week Rue brings Alice home he finds that he has no one to watch her during the times he and Dusty can't be with her. The daycares either suck or have waiting lists three miles long. In a fit of desperation he asks his neighbor across the hall, Erik, to watch the baby during the day.

Erik, oh Erik, you are one adorable mass of geekiness and neuroses. Erik's a guy who's really bad with change, has a stutter, panic attacks, an aversion to healthy food, a LOVE of Star Wars and a HATRED for crowds. He's not too sure about watching a newborn but when he hears that a homophobic neighbor is planning to take advantage of Rue's desperation, Erik comes to the rescue...and it won't be the last time he does.

So begins the formation of Erik, Rue, Dusty and Alice's little family.

One thing I loved about this book was that it was that it was about the making of a family. It was about how these three men make each other stronger and how they're there for each other through thick and thin. Dusty and Rue slowly pull Erik out of his shell and become the first friends he's ever had. Dusty and Erik help Rue raise the little girl who ends up stealing all of their hearts. Erik and Rue help Dusty break away from his abusive asshole of a boyfriend and it was beautiful to read about Erik giving Dusty comfort when the man needed it.

And then we have the small and big changes that happen in Erik. He finds a confidence and strength in himself that had me grinning like a damn fool. He surprises Rue, Dusty and himself in the best ways.

Yes, there's a romance in this book between Rue and Erik but that, for me, really took a back seat to the family aspect of the story. I didn't mind that so much though because I like these family stories and this, more than anything, is a family story.

Now, baby books are my kryptonite, so will this make it onto my reread list. I'm not going to say no but while I was in love with the story the writing style was good but didn't completely grab me. BUT...BUT BUT BUT I will definitely be reading Dusty's story if these two authors decide to tell it. His character really plucked at my heart strings so his story, if there is one, will be an auto-buy for me.

All in all, this was GOOD. Yet, another baby book that left me with a smile on my face and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

ETA: I dropped this story half a star because of the following reasons.
The more I think about it and compare this book to other family books in the genre the more I feel like this story could have been a lot more than it is. The family aspect was really cute but I felt like it was strong in the beginning and then...nothing. Instead of the family plot and the romantic plot supporting each other I felt more like they were fighting for dominance.

The book was family, family, family and then the story remembered that it was supposed to be a romance too. Then the romance took over and the family aspect was forgotten. And then at the end I felt like the family plot showed back up again just so that it wouldn't be a loose end.

Also, I LOVED Dusty and I agree that he felt like the most well rounded and engaging character.

The good thing: I'll definitely buy his book.
The bad thing: While it's GREAT to have strong secondary characters, they shouldn't outshine the main characters. The main characters should, at the very least, be as developed as the supporting cast.

So, for those reasons, I revised my rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Small Thing.

05/05/2012
5.0% "I don't know if it's really fair to read this while reading Soldiers but I needed a little bit of happy. Shit was gettin' real in Voinov Land."
05/05/2012
19.0% "So I'm not quite sure what I think yet but I'm sticking with it."
05/05/2012
30.0% "Ok...I'm into it now. It just took a bit."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue It is a cute book! I enjoy kid/baby/family stories not just for the cute kids, but for the relationships revolving around them. I hope you are able to reread this one and give an "unskewed" review. :) Enjoy SF...that is unforgettable read.

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Sue wrote: "It is a cute book! I enjoy kid/baby/family stories not just for the cute kids, but for the relationships revolving around them. I hope you are able to reread this one and give an "unskewed" revie..."

I reviewed. I think I just had to nap on it. lol

message 3: by Elci (new) - added it

Elci  Ha! If there's a baby in the story I must read it. Off to buy.

message 4: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue ♥Laddie♥ wrote: "Sue wrote: "It is a cute book! I enjoy kid/baby/family stories not just for the cute kids, but for the relationships revolving around them. I hope you are able to reread this one and give an "uns..."

LOL! Where are you in SF? It is an epic read, but a one-off for me. I don't think I could re-read that.

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) @Sue
Page 169 I think of the first part of Soldiers. I'm pretty in love with it but am tackling it in small parts because it's so intense. The writing is so freaking amazing though.

@Elci Yup! There's a little baby. So cute!

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue That's still pretty early in the beginning. So much more to come! :)

message 7: by Ery (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ery Awesome review!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Thanks, Erica :)