Naomi Dathan's Reviews > The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Feb 15, 12

I’m not that hard to scare.

Well, that’s not strictly true. I’m terrified of riding in airplanes or the Dumbo ride at Disney. In other words, I’m reasonably afraid of things that present genuine peril to my life.

But I’m not afraid of fictional things. I can see pretty much any movie, read any book, and the most I’ll feel is a mild foreboding if the good guys are rifling through the bad guys’ belongings and the bad guys are about to come in. I do have nightmares, especially since my husband died, but they are never about what I read or see.

Until the night before last, when I woke up filled with sick dread because Jack the Ripper was in my room. Even when I remembered where I was – my bedroom – and what was happening – nothing – I still couldn’t shake the feeling that I was about to be disemboweled.

So, thank you Maureen Johnson. What I thought was an interesting young adult novel really designed for younger audiences actually turned out to be suspenseful enough to imbed itself into my subconscious.

There’s almost no way to describe this book without giving spoilers, so I’ll just say Maureen Johnson has a great voice and wrote a book that’s captivating to me, the elderly widow, as well as younger audiences. Read this story; it has several surprises in store for you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.