Kristal Cooper's Reviews > Lunatics

Lunatics by Dave Barry

Feb 19, 12

Read from February 15 to 18, 2012

What a ride! After all these years, I shouldn't be surprised by Dave Barry. This book delivers the great narratives you know from his columns, the fast and zany plotlines you loved in Big Trouble, and a big dose of filthy language and political in-correctness that I didn't expect at all. I think many readers would be put off by that but, for me, it was a good thing. I just love characters that are believable and speak they way people actually do out in the world.

I want to describe the story but I'm afraid doing so would involve too many spoilers. I will say that our hapless heroes get themselves into some great situations in a way that reminded me of Forrest Gump. I'll also say that it's a blast from start to finish, but my favorite bit was the part in the cave -- what a riot!
____

P.S. --

1) After you finish the book, go back and read the Prologue. It'll make more sense.

2) Goodreads.com interviewed the authors earlier this year. They were asking users for interview questions but I had nothing to contribute since the book hadn't been released yet. If I could, I would now ask how they worked together on this. I imagine Dave writing Peckerman and Alan writing Horkman, but it was surely more complicated than that. I searched the site for the interview transcript with no luck. Does anyone know where I can find it?

3) I normally trade or give away my books, but my very favoritest authors are an exception. I'm going to keep this one in my permanent collection and hope to get it signed one day. I might loan it out though, if you ask nice...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunatics.