Sarah Insomnia's Reviews > Birthmarked

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

Feb 15, 2012

Read in February, 2012

I didn't think I would like this story at first, based on reading the back cover and the first chapter provided online, but I can happily say I wasn't disappointed.

My first impression of the main character in Birthmarked was that she was your generic teenaged heroine, with a mysterious scar to top it off that 'marred her beauty'. As I read further I was happy to find that the scar held other meaning and the character wasn't so generic after all. She had a bite that I wasn't expecting, and a flare of personality- nothing over the top, but enough to keep you interested, and it impressed me that she wasn't some glowing beauty.

The nature of this dystopian world... well, it's nothing I haven't already read about, but I read a lot of dystopian novels so very little takes me off guard anymore (and it intrigues me how the word 'enclave' is appearing more and more in young adult fiction). The whole idea of the baby quota and and genetic screening was interesting, as well as the segregated societies. It definitely fit the bill for dystopian futures.

There was so much more to this story than I anticipated. It was fast paced, intriguing with memorable characters, and after finishing it I am compelled to read on to the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmarked.