Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)'s Reviews > When You Were Mine

When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

May 22, 12

bookshelves: ya-contemporary
Read in May, 2012

While everyone knows the history of Romeo and Juliet, few people ever focused on Rosaline, Romeo’s ex barely mentioned in the beginning of the play. I adore the idea that Rebecca Serle came up with—modernizing one of the most infamous love stories, and then adding the twist that it’s from Rosaline’s perspective? Genius.

I enjoyed Rosaline from the beginning, and I love that she and Rob grew up as friends but are in that awkward transitional stage that most coed friendships finally culminate to: the “Should we try being a couple or just stay friends?” Of course this is where Juliet enters, and I’m sure you can connect the dots as to what happens next.

While I thought Rosaline was a great character, I grew more and more irritated with Rob (Romeo) as things progressed to the point of me not even wanting him to be with Rosaline anymore. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Juliet, because I never really felt a connection to her. There is, however, one of the best supporting casts I’ve read in a novel here. Serle does a wonderful job of not making this book only about 3 characters—she throws in others (like Len and Olivia) that really flesh out the story.

I adore the idea that Serle came up with. I am a huge fan of telling a much beloved story from a different perspective, and I felt like Serle did a great job. I can’t say there were any jaw-dropping moments that blew me away, and occasionally I felt like the story dragged a bit, but overall this was a good book that I think teens will enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Were Mine.