Jennifer at BookShelfery's Reviews > The Prophet

The Prophet by Amanda Stevens

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: favorites, recommended-reads, paranormal-fiction, paranormal-mystery
Read from March 20 to 24, 2012

Amanda Stevens, you’ve done it again. You have me twisted around your finger with your story-telling ways and I can tell, you’re not letting me go.

The Prophet is the third installment in the Graveyard Queen series (can I pause a moment and say I am OMGsogladit’snotjustatrilogybecausesogoodWANTMORE?!) and we follow the beautiful Amelia back to her home base in Charleston, South Carolina, after her close brush with death in Asher Falls. Asher Falls has changed her, made her stronger, and at the same time, weaker, because she knows something is missing in her life. There is something so ghostly about Amelia, as if she is only living half a life, because she is too afraid to live it fully. At the same time, she knows she must or she’ll only be a shell of a person and never have everything she wants – or the one person she wants: John Devlin. And yes, while she lusted after Thane Asher, she realizes it’s Devlin she loves and Devlin who holds her heart, even if she might never have him.

By now we know Devlin is haunted by the ghosts of his wife and daughter, who died in a car accident two years prior. He is nearly gaunt and almost hollow-looking, but Stevens still manages to make him appear dark and beautiful. Their reserved passion for each other is so palpable you almost feel as if you can touch it, and yet so restrained you want to pull your hair in frustration, as if that will help them each deal with their demons so they can move on with each other.

Asher Falls was cruel to Amelia, but it opened her eyes to the fact that she can’t hide from her abilities or who she is forever. Or...where she comes from. Facing her destiny, she is approached to assist those who wish to move on to the Other Side. Helping them flies directly in the face of her Papa’s rules, the rules which have safeguarded her her entire life. She promised to bring the walls back up when she left Asher Falls, but she can’t deny the urge to help, even if helping these ghosts means inviting haunting, witches and murderers into her life.

I’m not giving away a single more detail of this book, because I think you just need to read it yourself. It’s stupendous and again, Stevens has become one of my favorite authors. I hope she never stops giving us stories. Amanda Stevens’ writing is simply some of the most beautiful and fluid I’ve ever read. Her words wash over you like iced tea on a hot day in the South, refreshing and vital. She very neatly ties all three books together in The Prophet, masterfully engaging the reader in yet another creepy (although not as creepy as The Kingdom, which is FINE with me!) story of murder, ghosts and mysteries. What IS a truly southern gothic tale without those elements, really? And while the series could potentially end very satisfactorily with The Prophet, Stevens has left just enough morsels trailing behind her to lead to a 4th book. God, I want more! I just may be reduced to begging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet.

03/21/2012 page 23