All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Wicked Road to Hell

Feb 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia, earc
Read in April, 2012

One part gangsta, two parts noir, WICKED ROAD TO HELL certainly delivers the bite and danger promised in the title. Declan O'Hara is neither charming nor smooth, but rather a sharp brand of alpha that treads the line between aggressively hot and just plain aggressive. It did not take long for him to win me over, however, along with his delicious friends.

To be fair, it was not just Declan that starts out a little rough. The politics in WICKED ROAD TO HELL are murky, and I think some of that mystery can be attributed to ambiguous writing as much as deliberate plot choices. Also, despite the fact that this is book one in the series, I discovered that it does reference events from Stone’s Jaguar Warriors series. Prior knowledge and ambiguous politics aside, however, Stone’s rough and tumble characters were compelling enough to carry me through a few instances of odd writing. Though Ana gets strong armed by both Declan and destiny, she sticks to her guns and doesn’t give up (though she does tread perilously close to “fool hardy” in many places, for the sake of keeping the stakes high for her and Declan). I particularly enjoyed the sweet justice of her turning Declan’s favorite trick back on him at book’s end.

WICKED ROAD TO HELL is definitely a darker brand of Paranormal Romance. As much as the language turned me off in places (outside of Ana and a future heroine, the women in this book get called some pretty derogatory names), these characters ultimately won me back to their side. Stone has found a balance of enticing roughness and romance that already has me on the hook for Cale or Ransome’s Happily Ever After, but unfortunately, that will have to wait until after book two. Two new comers are on deck for KING OF THE DAMNED this November, based on the sneak peak chapter included with WICKED ROAD TO HELL.

Sexual Content: Several sex scenes, references to rape.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Road to Hell.