Jason Koivu's Reviews > The Mouse and the Motorcycle

The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary

Dec 31, 14

bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 1981

The Mouse and the Motorcycle BLEW MY MIND when I was about 8 years old. I remember thinking, "It's a mouse, okay. And he's riding...a motorcycle?! That...is...AWESOME!"

My dad's a mechanic, so naturally I worried about things like access to the appropriate-sized tools and where the mouse would find parts for the bike, I mean, it's soooo small! What if he blew a plug? Is NAPA even going to have that?! And if it's foreign-made, well then that's a whole other pandora's box of problems right there!

So you can see, my own personal experiences ratcheted up the tension of this otherwise thrilling adventure in which a boy visiting a hotel gives the gift of a toy motorcycle to an adventurous mouse named Ralph. Ralph zooms about, getting into mishaps and adventures. He's a bit of a hooligan, that Ralph, and he nearly looses the bike. But he regains the boy's trust by doing him a daring service.

The Mouse and the Motorcycle instantly became a personal favorite and made me an even more avid reader. So to you, Ms. Beverly Cleary, I say... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJJQpS...
41 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mouse and the Motorcycle.

Michael Blackmer I remember reading some of her books when I was a kid. You have inspired me to revisit them. I remember her stuff being a lot of fun to read.

Jason Koivu Michael wrote: "...I remember her stuff being a lot of fun to read."

Ha! I read this as "stuffing." I've still got holiday dinners on the mind.

message 3: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich Yes! This book rocked my world when I was a kid. Good to see it holds up.

Jason Koivu s.penkevich wrote: "Yes! This book rocked my world when I was a kid. Good to see it holds up."

Oh, I don't know if it still holds up. I'm going on my old memories of having read this as a kid. I don't dare read it again for fear my loving memories might be dashed. Sometimes the past should be smashed, but NOT THIS TIME!

message 5: by mark (new)

mark monday I loved this book as a kid too.

Michael Blackmer Thanks to Jason I have decided to read it again. I will see if I like it as much. Why not be a kid again once in a while right?

Jordan Shannon I loved this book like how they change and learned about life leason from the book that change peoples lives